Extended Attributes

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jul 7 10:02:44 MST 2011

From: Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com>
> Joseph mentioned the command lsattr which I had forgotten about so I read
> the man page and tried it.  I can find no explanation of the meaning of the
> results.
>
> --------------I--e- /var/log/bootchart
>
> While http://linux.die.net/man/5/attr gives a fair explanation of what
> extended attributes are used for, I've found nothing to help interpret the
> attributes displayed by lsattr.

"man chattr" says:

The ’I’ attribute is used by the htree code to  indicate  that  a
directory  is
being  indexed  using hashed trees.  It may not be set or reset using
chattr(1),
although it can be displayed by lsattr(1).

...which is a bit strange, but whatever.  Not that many of the attrs described
in the man page for chattr actually look useful, though the "i" attribute
might be interesting for some things that are rarely modified and really
important (like libc, or inittab, or grub.conf).

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows