Networking Ubuntu11.10, Mint12, and XP

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 09:32:46 MST 2011

I've been googling for this but can't find the solution. I need to network
a Mint box, Ubuntu computer, and an XP machine. I need my brothers Windows
machine and the Mint box to be able to print (the printer is attached to
the Ubuntu) without emailing the documents to be printed to myself.
Further, I want to be able to control one machines pointer from another
computer (remote desktop access). The best page I found for The best page I
found for connecting Linux with XP is:
http://www.howtodothings.com/computers/ ... hines.html
Then it told me to enter: 'smb: //mywindowsmachinesname/ or smb:
//mywindowsmachines LAN IP/' (I went to the windows machine ran ipconfig
and figured out the LAN IP is 192.168.0.2) into konqueror. I figured it
would be the same with firefox but it responded: '...(smb isn't associated
with any program.' so I googled more adding the term 'ubuntu' but couldn't
find anything useful. I guess you are supposed to enter something else!
Please, what is it? How do you do it with nautilos (or whatever)?
Also: the page told me to 'apt-get install cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-client
foomatic-bin samba smbclient gs-esp a2ps' but apparently I don't have the
source in my repository because mint responded with the not available but
referred to by another package error.

Almost forgot to mention that I need to do this wirelessly.
--