still wanting a ride but holding out hope

Technomage Hawke technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 18:55:41 MST 2011

well,
it is now 1835 local time and not a peep about a ride to the christmas party. guess no one from this side of the valley is going. still waiting to hear from anyone on the phone either. I figure it this way: if I don't hear from anyone by 1900 then I am to assume that no one is going.

on another note... it seems that opensuse is using gnome 3 as one of their desktop environments and it is quite broken when it comes to accessibility. their installer isn't even accessible at all. I am already consulting with some of the devs on how to change this. one of the biggest sticking points is the fact that Yast (both terminal and GUI versions) are inaccessible beyond the primary menu items. opening any associated apps in Yast results in either no spoken text or a message that reads "read only text".

opensuse and their partnership with Novell are good projects, but they need to consider accessibility (especially in their enterprise products) as there a number of us blind administrators. if we can't use the tools because they fail to report the contents of their text fields (either to a screen reader or  braille device) than we cannot perform our duties effectively.

-eric