Difference in marketing Open Source in Europe vs. USA?

Steven Shaffer stevenbshaffer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:17:33 MST 2009

Hey all. I'm a part of an org for Open Source marketing professionals, (made
up largely of folks over in Europe) and we are debating the differences
between how Open Source is marketed and thought of in the U.S. versus
Europe.

I'd be interested to know if any of you have thoughts on the subject.

For slight background, here's an informal comparison done by Larry Augustin
last year:
http://lmaugustin.typepad.com/lma/2008/09/commercial-open-source-in-europe-verses-the-us.html

Basically it says the U.S. is money grubbing, Europeans are freedom lovin'.

Bah.

Steve | c 480.334.0103
www.stevenbshaffer.com
stevenbshaffer at gmail.com