ext? as fat or ntfs?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Jul 20 13:02:44 MST 2009

Am 20. Jul, 2009 schwätzte Bob Elzer so:

> My guess would be the easiest thing to do would be to format it NTFS, since
> almost everything can read/write it.

Nah, easiest thing would be to ignore and avoid proprietary operating
systems that insist on being incompatible :).

As Ryan reiterated for me, the entire purpose of this is to move to a free
and open file system.

If we can do so in such a way that vendors can use the same mechanism we
might get camera, flash memory, media player and other manufacturers to
move to free and open filesystems.

> I do still agree with your point of view though, but whatever free and open
> file system we can come up with, M$ will never add it to their OS's
> themselves, or back port it to their older systems.

Well, let's figure out how to make it work without Redmond's assistance.

> Which means, always modifying the M$ system to read the free FS.

Yup. But, can we do it in a reliable way?

ciao,

der.hans
#  "We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.
#  Law enforcement was not supposed to be easy.
#  Where it is easy, it's called a police state."  -- Jeff Schiller