Ubuntu 9.04

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Apr 14 09:44:23 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 09:34 -0700, Matt Graham wrote:
> > Stephen wrote:
> >> I just need the money to afford the laptop i want... cause im weird
> >> and want 3 drives. stuff, OS 1 stable and Os 2 multiflavors/testing
> >> only one i know does that and the shell is 2k
>
> Laptops rarely have more than one physical disk.  It's just too
> dang expensive to put more than one in the case.  Usually, partitions
> work well enough to separate different logical areas of a disk,
> though the 15-partition limit Linux has on SCSI disks may annoy
> some people.
----
there's always a market for high end stuff and I think it's more to the
problem of space, power requirements and heat that limit the number of
spindles in a laptop more than cost.

Obviously SSHD provide new options and the netbook proliferation has
introduced SD cards as another viable option for alternate boot drives
too and of course, the USB flash drives someone pointed out elsewhere in
this thread. LVM can get around the partition limitations too.

Craig

believed to be clean.