OT: open source/ hardware video recorder in NY Times

chip33az at netscape.net chip33az at netscape.net
Tue Jan 8 13:53:28 MST 2008

I have to pay extra for the basic cable.

When I signed up at the house many years ago, the basic cable was free
if you ordered their Internet service.

When I moved into the apartment a few months back, I inquired about that
and they stated they no longer provided that service.  I did order the
Internet, but not the cable service.  Once I had the Internet up and
going I tried to plug my TV into the coax and received no channels.  I
tried an antenna, but didn't receive anything so I ordered their basic
line-up.

Fry's has a basic HDTV USB device for $80 with a $20 rebate that I might
try to see how/if it works.