OT: open source/ hardware video recorder in NY Times

Erich Newell erich.newell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 22:18:02 MST 2008

Do you pay the extra dollar or whatever it is to get the basic cable
included with your cablemodem, or are you simply attaching your
existing connection to a receiver? If you don't have a subscription to
the basic cable service you should only be able to see up to channel
22 in the East Valley or 23 if you're lucky and live in the central or
west valley. (23 is Discovery channel...which I don't receive) These
channels cannot be blocked without affecting the function of the data
service.

As for me, I've never subscribed to the basic service (even though it
only works out to a dollar more) because my work has paid for my cable
modem...but if a portion of the bill shows up as "TV service" they
won't pay that bit...and since I only watch the OTA HD PBS broadcasts
anyhow, I choose to keep the ~$12 difference each month in my wallet.
:)

I'm almost 100% certain that no HD channels are broadcast in the range
available to me...Anyone have different experience? (i.e. no basic
subscription, but HD channels still visible)

--
"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes
about finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes