csync2

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Sun Jan 6 18:25:41 MST 2008

der.hans wrote:
>> Anyway, I got it 99% working a month or so ago and it definitely slick.
>> It compresses and pools all of the backups so you can backup multiple
>> workstations with similar content (same source files, for instance) at a
>> fraction of the space that would be needed with a simple solution like
>> rsnapshot.
>>
>> That 1% that's not working is confounding me, though...
>
> What's not working? Not that I'm an expert, but maybe I figured out the 1%
> you haven't figured out. You've either gotten the 30% I haven't figured
> out or it doesn't affect you :).

Ah, therein lies the rub... if the problem was concrete enough that I
could give justice to describe it, I would likely also have an easier
time debugging it!  I put it all off to the side a month or so ago and
haven't looked at it since so my memory is not fresh, either.

Basically, though, it just doesn't do backups when I would expect it to.
 I would have it on a particular schedule and sometimes it would perform
and sometimes not.  I couldn't figure out why since there didn't seem to
be a pattern.

Was it a matter of massive disk I/O?  These were encrypted drives, after
all.  Or maybe it was because I had to run BackupPC as the apache user
(which I *hate* but I'm so not going to run an entire set of apache
processes just for that one program... maybe lighttpd but that's a
project for another time).  Or maybe those error (warning?  info?)
messages about being online for so much time had something to do with
it.  Who knows?

I'm fully planning on taking this up again in the near future so maybe
it'll be clearer the next time... but for now, I'm just letting it be.

Kurt