Upgrading to Cox

Matrix Mole matrixm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 11:45:18 MST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:09 AM, farli <farli at deru.com> wrote:
> First, the website seems to imply that the phone service is over fiber,
> not copper.  Does that mean that I will no longer have to deal with
> phone outages because of Qwest copper wire shorts?

Others have given a good response regarding the connecting to the
internet service. I'll tell you a bit about the phone service. I had
an apartment when I used cox telephone so I'm not sure about a few
things. Basically, what they do is bring the cable from the pole, and
put it into a box very similar to the phone companies NID. That is the
box that the phone company comes into on one side, and then the other
side goes into your house. Cox then ties into your normal internal
phone wiring. I'm not sure if it's fiber, but it uses whatever Cox
brings to the pole, and then coax from the pole to your house and then
standard copper internal phone wiring inside your house. The only way
qwest copper outages would affect you is if Cox tied into qwest's
copper service further up the line, I don't know where they switch
over to a POTS lines, but obviously at some point they'll have to so
that you can call standard phone numbers.

Matrix Mole