Upgrading to Cox

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Tue Aug 19 10:23:20 MST 2008

I've had good service from Cox for the past few years, and have been
pleased with their constant bandwidth upgrades. I use their Premier
internet and "bundle" service which means I get my phone and cable from
them too. I seldom use my landline phone so although I have never had it
not work, that doesn't mean it never went down.

They do block some default outbound application ports like SMTP, I guess
to keep people from using their connection as a spam portal.

As for the setup it's reall simple. If you use their cable modem you
just connect it to your cable connection and any PC that you uplink to
it will DHCP an address.  You can also connect a thirdparty linksys or
other combo cablemodem/router and NAT several machines behind the
connection. If you use your own router you have to either use the MAC
address spoof option (spoof the MAC of the first PC you connected), or
call them and let them enter the MAC of your router.

-Charles