Another odd Ubuntu/Firefox issue

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 16:39:37 MST 2007

On 6/3/07, JT Moree <moreejt at pcxperience.com> wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> > OK, here is the issue: I want to get rid of the FF 1.5 and use the 2.0
> > version only.  I realize I can simply change the /usr/bin/firefox link
> > to use 2.0.  My question is how to properly delete 1.5 since there seems
> > to be no uninstall and the package manager is not aware of it (it was
> > originally installed using a Linux install link on the Mozilla site).
> > Just deleting /opt/firefox/ may not be safe or complete..  Anyone know
> > how to do this cleanly?
>
> Can you run the 1.5 installer again and tell it to uninstall?

Nope, I can't find it anywhere and suspect I trashed it once FF was
installed.

deleting
> the directory is probably fine

My concern was anything that might point into that directory such as add-ons
or preferences.  But if there are any they would be wrong then anyway.  Just
wondered if there was any way to avoid any mess.

since 2.0 is setup to handle everything.

Actually, the 7.04 upgrade (or an earlier one) seems to have setup FF 2.0 so
it would be invokeable from the command line using firefox.ubuntu.  But it
is not apparently invokeable from the panel icon or the Applications menu.
The add/remove option in the Applications menu seems to show 2.0 is already
installed in the menu but using that entry runs FF 1.5.  That indicates to
me that when FF2 was installed as firefox.ubuntu, the menu facility was no
adjusted the same way.  Ditto, the panel icon still ran firefox and thus
still ran FF1.5 due to the link in /usr/bin.

I fixed it by making a link in /usr/bin/ called firefox1.5 that points at
the old version, removing the firefox link that also pointed at the old
version, and making a new firefox link that points at the new version (and
left the firefox.ubuntu link alone).  I have not yet removed the old
directory, the link to it or anything relating to it from directories in my
home space (those are the issues I was not sure about the best means).

the fact that it's all in opt is to make it easy to delete (/opt is the
> place 3rd party apps are supposed to go).

Barring any further advice, my plan will be to remove /opt/firefox/ and see
if that causes any problems I need to deal with.

BTW, I just noticed that ~/FF2/firefox/ seems to contain a FF2 (executables
and all) dated 2006-10-10 so I suppose that was installed with Ubuntu 6.10.
Almost like the plan changed with each release and no cleanup was done.  All
files still dated the same so I am thinking that dir can probably also be
blown away (probably rename it first to make sure it is not in use).

- --
> JT Morée
> PC Xperience, Inc.

> believed to be clean.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss