root user and any GUI

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 21:55:10 MST 2006

I remember from my professional time many good reasons for the root user to
be set up to boot into a text mode.  I do not remember any good reasons for
root to be prevented from using GUI applications (even though xterm was the
one most used then).

1) Can anyone tell me why distros prevent root from using GUI applications (
e.g. display not defined)?

I seem to remember each user having a runlevel defined.  That was primarily
(I think) because everyone ran a workstation terminal so the runlevel was
local.  But I also remember the SA coming to my desk and logging in to a
system prompt and if he wanted xterms he had to startx first whereas when I
logged in as me the GUI was automatic without me having to startx manually.

2) Can I set up ubuntu like that and so root could startx and run GUI apps
if I wanted instead of having to sudo them from my user?

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss