Wanted Someone to Coordinate the Westside PLUG Meetings

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon May 15 08:28:23 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 06:36 -0700, Derek Neighbors wrote:

> Jerry Davis wrote:
> > Just wondering out loud here (and I'm fairly new):
> > is there a school/place closer to central phoenix where E/W could both
> > meet at one time? What about where the development meeting takes place?
> >
> > That way everyone is "inconvenienced" the same way. I know it would not
> > be easy. I, for instance only live 2 miles away for now. However if my
> > house EVER gets built that will be a different story, but I will still
> > come never-the-less.
> >
> > But that way our meetings would be a little bigger, no separate
> > meetings would mean that a presenter would only be obligated to present
> > to one group -- we might get more presenters that way. Also the
> > comraderie would be better.
> >
> Just speaking out loud for myself here, but why would we want to
> inconvenience people on a regular basis?  If the East Side has 50
> regular attenders 40 of which live with 15 minutes of the meeting why
> would you want to move the meeting?  Bigger isn't necessarily better.  I
> have a hard time believing that the West Valley doesn't have Linux
> users.  I certainly vote to not move the East Side Meeting.  It is right
> off the freeway and with the East Valley going further and further East
> it is now almost Central anyhow.
>
> Perhaps PLUG as a whole could do some events to lure new people into the
> community on the West Side?
----
I'd have to agree with Derek that the valley is too large now to have
one meeting location that is going to make everyone happy. Though as one
that doesn't generally do Mesa, I wouldn't say that geo center of the
valley has moved eastward as the south, west and north boundaries have
too been moving outward. I am amused that by Derek's impression that the
valley center is in Mesa but it is not germane.

Personally, I wouldn't mind doing it if but only if it wasn't an attempt
to make it another generalized meeting like the one at Sequoia. My
interest would be to have a small business orientation with each month
being a different topic on this line (and I presume that small business
also encompasses soho). Topics along the lines of TCP/IP networks, DHCP,
DNS, LDAP, SMTP, IMAP, Web Applications, FOSS usage of
databases/OpenOffice, etc.

If there is an agreement to handle the 'west side' meetings with this
bent (and not to mirror general stuff of the east side), then I probably
would have a go at it.

Craig