IPCop vs Smoothwall

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Mar 30 12:32:18 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 12:20 -0700, Darrin Chandler wrote:
> Alex Dean wrote:
>
> > I'm using IPCop at home on a PII with 256MB.  I haven't use Smoothwall.
> >
> > IPCop is a champ.  Farily easy to configure, well documented, and
> > there are lots of free addon packages for doing things like mail or
> > web content filtering.  The ipcop-users mailing list is also
> > generally responsive to questions.  (Not as friendly as PLUG, though.)
> >
> > alex
> >
> > ps - I haven't yet found an addon package that will support Snort
> > (intrusion detection) logging to MySQL.  All you get by default is
> > logging to a text file, which you can read via IPCop's web
> > interface.  Not very useful, as you basically have to troll through
> > pages and pages of log entries looking for possible problems.  I've
> > turned Snort off until I find a more effective way to analyze its
> > logs.  That's maybe a little off topic, but it's the only thing I've
> > yet wanted from IPCop that hasn't been easy to add.
>

> IPCop is a great solution, and has many features. It'll probably have
> more in the future. Make enough (polite) noise, and someone may add
> snort+mysql, since that would be useful to a fairly wide audience.
>
> But if you're going to get advanced enough in your desires or
> requirements then you might consider learning to set up a firewall
> yourself using iptables, etc. Or use OpenBSD (pf is *way* easier to
> learn than iptables) ;)
----
a subversive in our midst   ;-)

I don't think iptables is very hard - you can hit the ground with both
feet running by starting with David Ranch's stuff...

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch/LINUX/ipmasq/c-html/firewall-examples.html#RC.FIREWALL-IPTABLES

perhaps pf is way easier, but that makes it very easy to start with.

Craig