IBM Probes Microsoft's Relationship with SCO

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Feb 25 05:54:22 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 02:13 -0700, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> Jerry,
>
>   I don't think so.  The real history of american business is 1)
> innovation, 2) expansion, 3) overbearance, 4) bloat, 5) death.
> Microsoft is at stage five.  Gates was on CSPAN tonight.  He looked
> really nervous, not his usual self assured smugness.  As far as Gates
> billions: today money is way more leveraged and detached from reality
> than ever.  Wealth on paper means nothing.  Do you think that Gates
> can just cash out his stock and buy a south american country or
> something?  Microsoft is not all powerful.  The profitable moves that
> they have available to them are diminishing by the day.  And the
> public( and our government ) is starting to catch on to their tricks.
> Remember in the first anti-trust trial, one of the key prosecutors had
> NEVER USED A COMPUTER BEFORE.  We have come a long way from those
> days...
>
>   Money will buy time... but it wont buy the truth.  Microsoft is
> done.  Have some faith in your country...
>

>         >
>         > Looks like the same old blah to me. If m$ was in .ca.us it
>         might be doing
>         > hard time due to the 3 strikes laws, but barring that it'll
>         be business as
>         > usual because the minor legal annoyances don't outweight the
>         ill-gained
>         > income or market share.
>
>         yep. m$ can't be nailed -- ever. they have too much money and
>         we all know that
>         money talks everything else walks in our system of justice.
----
First of all - Linux is not the anti-Microsoft foundation...Macintosh
seems to live for that and please, let us keep it that way.

Secondly, Microsoft has basically vanquished all comers in the Desktop
OS and Office productivity suite software categories to the point that
their profits of these 2 categories alone allow them to subsidize huge
losses in their attempts to gain a stranglehold control over markets
such as handhelds, phones, gaming consoles, on demand video, digital
rights management and more. I think you are ringing the death bell way
too prematurely.

Thirdly, the DOJ had a conviction of Microsoft in their pockets at the
close of the millenium and the election of George W. Bush, with his
appointees in the DOJ handing Microsoft a 'Get Out of Jail, Free' card
immediately after the election ended all efforts/all thoughts about a
breakup. This administration has little interest in breaking up a
monopoly held by this huge American corporation, regardless of their
sins. So much for faith in my country.

Lastly, what does this have to do with Linux?

Craig