OT: Hands Off Google!

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:50:10 MST 2006

der.hans,

> It's an extention of the debate on self-publication vs. having to go
> through established publication outlets. The search engines are becoming
> a necessary advertising/marketing outlet.
> > and objective.  I would think that eventually there will be government
> > regulations on search engines, in addition to new regulations introduced
> at
>
> There already are to some extent.

Can you provide an example of this?

Search engines, ISPs, etc. have been
> able to duck it a little by saying it's not feasable to filter data. It's
> becoming feasable. Dunno what they'll say then...
>
> > the IP transport level as well.  This of course would require a much
> higher
>
> Do you mean gov't regs or that the IP proto will change?

Well there is 'deep packet inspection' and also the prospect of Ipv6.  This
kind of progression is what happened to the telcos in the 70s.  They became
heavily regulated due to the stranglehold that Bell had on the industry.
Things eased up a bit and new companies and new technologies sprung up(
Ethernet, VAN, etc ).  The interesting thing about Ethernet is that it is
very hard to monitor as opposed to competing technologies such as token
ring, etc.  Laws will have to be drafted to counteract the effects of deep
packet inspection where the ISP or telco can regulate the quality or
availability of service depending on 1) peer party, 2) applicaiton, 3)
nature of content. I imagine the law would have to have, as its basis, the
guarantee of delivery of an IP packet from one geographical location to
another without 1) disclosure, 2) delay.  So you think it would cost too
much to construct this bureau?  Well just use the Post Office!  (sounds
funny but I think it could work, and give a lot of talented people jobs).

here well take this quote from Popplewell...

"From the days of ancient Persia to dawn of modern industry, horse and rider
served to bind together the provinces of monarchy, empire and republic.  No
state long survived its inability to promote the dissemination of knowledge
and information among its people.   In mid-century America, communication
between St. Joseph on the fringe of western settlement and goldmining
communities of California challenged the bold and made skeptical the timid.
Into this picture rode the Pony Express.  From these hearty souls who toiled
over plain and mountain that understanding might be more generally diffused,
a nation spanning a continent was ours to inherit.  In the spirit of the
Pony Express it is for us to bequeath to those who shall follow, new trails
in the sky uniting in thought and in deed."
                                                                     - Frank
S. Popplewell

and re-engineer it for our linux friendly purposes...

"From the days of UUNET to dawn of modern telecommuting, ISPs served to bind
together the provinces of monarchy, empire and republic.  No state long
survived its inability to promote the dissemination of knowledge and
information among its people.   In mid-90s America, high-speed
communications between suburban satellites and urban centers challenged the
bold and struck fear into the hearts of IT managers throughout the land.
Into this picture rode the Open Source Programmers.  From these hearty souls
who toiled over C++ and linux device drivers that understanding might be
more generally diffused, an Operating System spanning all hardware platforms
was ours to inherit.  In the spirit of Open Source Software it is for us to
bequeath to those who shall follow, new trails in the sky uniting in thought
and in deed."

Although the PO is considered to be a fairly useless agency by modern
Americans it played a crucial role in our countries success.  But I don't
think the internet will go postal this year, possibly the next.

> level of formalization in the information and linguistic sciences.  There
> is
> > a growing contingency of tech savvy activists who are vehemently
> fighting
> > this encroachment into thier digital communication infrastructure.
> > http://www.eff.org .  There is Lessig of course, and a few other
> important
> > lawyers and technology people.  I had mentioned on the Azipa list more
> than
> > a year ago the problems concerning municipal wireless and how hidden
> cost
> > structures will effect their success.  Verizon has since 'put on a happy
> > face' and are now ostensibly more positive about the prospects( and
> sales
> > value ) of a 'neutral network'.  It seems more like bait than an honest
> > sales bid.
>
> Didn't know Verizon is involved. So much for being able to use bluetooth
> devices...

  I don't know if Verizon is involved in the Tempe wireless project per se,
but they are involved in the formation of the policies that effect projects
like it.  Don't know what relationship it has to Bluetooth...

>  In general most people do not understand to what extent this indexing of
> > content can be used.  Natural Language Processing has made some serious
> > strides in recent years.  It cetainly touches on a lot of hot topics
> such as
> > privacy, etc.
>
> They don't understand and don't care. The latter leads to the former.

  Thats why people appoint trustworthy experts who are looking out for their
interersts and not those of totalitarian dictatorships that are located
halfway around the world.  Would you trust a rep from a company who has 75%
of its technical force in China and India?

  thanks for the comments though der.hans, looking forward to many more.

 -josh z