swap file

Michael Havens bmike101 at cox.net
Sun Dec 24 11:09:53 MST 2006

I had a stroke of genius! (you are going to be proud of me for thinking of
this). This idea has been mulling around in my head for a while now. Wouldn't
it be lightning quick to put a swap file on a pendrive? No disk activity
would be needed at all! It would all have to do with the bus's speed.

Okay, I looked into doing this a while ago and was wondering if things had
changed.
-1- touch <file>
-2- mkswap <file>
-3- swapon <file>(max file size in bytes>
-4- add '<file> swap swap noauto 0 0' to /etc/fstab

what are the drawbacks to doing this? how could I automate this?

man! why do most computers even have hard drives! Unless you are running a
business.....