Flash player

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Aug 21 20:53:40 MST 2006

Am 21. Aug, 2006 schwätzte Kenneth so:

> Ok, after the thread the other day that got off on the topic of a flash
> plugin, I decided to try to get one working here, and I've had no luck.  This
> is on Fedora Core 5, but I have a similar problem on the couple of other
> distros I've used recently.  I just never really needed flash, so I never
> worried about it.

It's better that way ;-).

> I downloaded the plugin file from the automatic installer that comes up in
> firefox. It installed a .so and a .xpt file into ~/.mozilla/plugins.  If I
> start up firefox and type about:plugins, it does not show the flash plugin.
> I checked the permissions on the files, looked ok to me.

Does Fedora not have flash/swf packages?

libflash-mozplugin - GPL Flash (SWF) Library - Mozilla-compatible plugin
libflash-swfplayer - GPL Flash (SWF) Library - stand-alone player
swf-player - SWF (Macromedia Flash) player

You could also use the Unplug Firefox extension to download the swf file
and play it with mplayer.

Web browsers shouldn't make noise :).

Firefox does require restarting after the plugin is installed.

I've used both the GPLd and proprietary players. The GPLd player used to
have lots of problems, but I think it's been working well. Also, unlike
the proprietary player, there is work going on for the GPLd player and I
believe they're trying to suppor the newest version of swf.

See https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/29760 for info on getting sound
working with swf and Firefox.

ciao,

der.hans
#  Join the League of Professional System Administrators! https://LOPSA.org/
#  "This country has nothing to fear from the crooked man who fails. We put
#  him in jail. It is the crooked man who succeeds who is a threat to this
#  country." -- Theodore Roosevelt, Memphis, TN, 25Oct1905