Max IDE Cable Length?

Gene Holmerud plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 6 May 2003 19:43:43 -0700 (PDT)

Altho this question was asked relitive to IDE, other
protocols have other considerations.

There is an aspect of "round" cables that is not taken
into account here.  The individual wire pairs (1&2,
and 3&6 in the case of ethernet, other pairing for
other protocols) are twisted.  And each pair is
twisted at a different number of turns per foot.
Since the electrical signals within each pair are
"differential" (that is, the signal is the voltage
differ
ence between the wires of a pair, but is independent
of the independent of other wires in the cable and
independent of stray voltages), isolation is pretty
good.  No, not as good as individual coaxials, but way
better in usabality, performance & price. The
twisting, and the difference in the number of turns
per foot help cut down the crosstalk.  And most
crosstalk gets induced into other pairs commonly, thus
not effcting the "difference" voltage within a pair.

The cable length restrictions (and the complementary
packet restrictions) in ethernet have to do with
making sure all receivers on a subnet will detect a
collision.

Gene

name=signature.asc