apt-get in Mandrake

Alexander Henry plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 20:28:24 -0700

Rob Wultsch wrote:

> The short: if I were to install a semi minimalist mandrake 9.1 could I
> then install the apt-get utility?

I'm telling you, I went through the same things.  X should install fine all
by itself.  I also tried to rip out and put back, kludge all the config
files, everything.  The only thing I did wrong was answer to debconf YES to
direct video buffering, and all the other stuff started because I was
destructively hacking away tring to find the problem.

first try:

apt-get remove x-window-system
apt-get install kde (I believe that is what you wanted right?)

then be sure to answer NO to direct video buffering.

If something is drastically wrong, reformat and do the base install all over
again.  Also answer NO to direct video buffering.  Just use the burned CD
for now, we'll upgrade you again later at the fest.

--Alexander