Modem Problem How to make it point!

Mike Starke plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 14:23:16 -0500

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 02:08:57PM -0500, Michael Havens wrote:
/_That must be it (just as I thought)! It must not point to the device. How do I make it point to it?You want me to do it on my own?  I wish that I could do it on my own!I don't know what to make point to what bro. (ln -s from where to where?)(wait.... you go into the directory where you want the link and then type 'ln -s (the file)'? Do I at least understand that correctly?
/_
/_At this point I'd go back to kppp and make sure it points to the device. Further
/_searching Google should give you some insight, too.
/_
/_Which device do I want it to point to?..... So I would go into the kppp directory andtype 'ln -s ......' I hate being a windows dummy!
/_

I suppose you can go into kppp and make sure the modem is set for
/dev/modem. Then, leave that setting alone.

Now, issue the command(s)

'ls -l /dev/modem' (see what that returns, if it doesn't "point" to the right device, then do)
'ln -s /dev/ttySX /dev/modem' (where X is the com port (begining at 0) you want to set)

remove the link ('rm /dev/modem'), wash, rinse, repeat (differant com ports) until it works.

-Mike