id:5:initdefault: in /etc/inittab on RH8 (was: RE: PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #3409 - 15 msgs)

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:49:41 -0800 (PST)

I attempted to fix subject above. My comments below:

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, George Gambill wrote:

> Any better suggestions on setting KDE as default X?

For individual users have "startkde" (or "exec startkde" as last entry)
in ~/.xinitrc (for running startx) and ~/.xsession (for xdm).

> Further, on RH8, is there someplace where you can redefine the runlevels as
> far as how they act?

Look at the /etc/inittab. It will show that certain scripts are ran for
certain runlevels.

Then look at those script(s).

Then you will see that other scripts within certain runlevel directories
(like rc3.d) are ran. The startup scripts start with an "S" and then a
number. They are synlinks to scripts in the init.d directory.

Good luck

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/