PLUG-discuss digest, Vol 1 #3409 - 15 msgs

George Gambill plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:41:49 -0700

David,

Issuing "startx" from the command line does indeed start the gnome GUI.

Mike,

Per the book "Red Hat Linux 8 Bible":

Table 12-4: Possible Run Levels (page 439)

re 3,4 "Multiple Mode with network services. Run level 3 is the typical
value for initdefault on a Red Hat Linux server, but run level 4 (generally
left to be user-defined) is almost identical in a default Red Hat Linux
configuration."

re. 5 "Multiuser mode with network services and X.  This run level starts
the X server and presents a graphical login window, visually resembling any
of the more expensive UNIX-based workstations. This is a common initdefault
value for a Red Hat Linux workstation."

Interesting to note, these boxes were not set up as work stations and they
were not set up as servers. They were set up with the "custom" option.  They
are however, both servers of sorts.  One is a LTSP server and the other is
functioning as a router.  Could that have anything to do with it?

Also, note, another box set up with the custom option works as advertised
(re initdefault) and it servers such things as RealVNC and rdesktop.

Maybe I am asking the wrong question.  My original purpose was to change
from gnome to KDE when X was started (startx).  On a RH8 box that does start
in X (GUI), I could (at the GUI login in screen) select KDE and it would ask
if I wanted to make KDE the default which is exactly what I want to do.

Any better suggestions on setting KDE as default X?

Further, on RH8, is there someplace where you can redefine the runlevels as
far as how they act?

Thanks, George

--- Origional Message ---

David Mandala wrote:

Sound off to me, inittab is indeed the correct place to control this.
What happens when you try to run X on those machines? Does X run at all?

Mike wrote:

How are the runlevels defined? I know differant dists have differant
runlevels
defined.

-Mike

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 10:07, George Gambill wrote:
> I thought you could control booting to a GUI by id:5:initdefault: in
> /etc/inittab.
>
> For some reason, I have two RH8 boxes that boot to the text based login
with
> id:5:initdefault: in /etc/inittab.  Same thing with id:3:initdefault:.
Any