CPU Speeds and Fry's E (OT)

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:52:00 -0700

How  about this answer:

I KNOW it's not your systems fault.  I just built and athlon 2500 and 300=
0=20
(the 3000 is mine) and I had to se the cpu speed to 133 for the 2500 (the=
=20
system had the multiplier correct) and 166 for the 3000.  for some reason=
,=20
the boards detected the proper multiplier and not the cpu speed.  Probabl=
y=20
has to do with giving you options.

See what having options can do to you?  Damn you linux and your options! =
:-)

anthony

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 10:41 am, Dr. Ghastly wrote:
> > I was wanting to build a new LTSP server so last week, I bought an AM=
> > Athlon XP 2200 (and MoBo) from Fry's Electronic. The Athlon XP 2200 i=
> > supposed to run at 1.8 GHz.  However, while booting, the system shows=
 the
> > CPU to be an Athlon 1500+.  Further, (booting under Knoppix) the Knop=
pix

> CD
>
> > shows it running (while booting) at 1344 MHz (1.344 GHz).
> >
> > The MoBo somehow identifies the CPU and sets the clock rate according=
ly.

> > Looking at the Setup Utility (CTRL + DEL while booting), in the "CPU =
PnP