Mounting Windows Shares Automatically (at boot, at login)

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:15:01 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth George Gambill on 6/5/2003 10:15 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ The mount command:
\_
\_    mount -t smbfs -o username=UserName,password=UserPassword
\_ //HostName/HoseShare /mnt/WinMountPoint
\_
\_ works very well.  However, it is a manual effort and I would like to be able
\_ to issue such a command automatically:
\_
\_ A) At boot time
\_
\_ B) At login time according to (which share to mount) who logged in.
\_
\_ Where to hide such commands has so far eluded me.  My questions are:
\_
\_ 1) Where to hide them so they are issued at boot?

set them up apporpriately in /etc/fstab to mount at boot time

\_ 2) Where to hide them so they are issued at login?

the autofs hints provided earlier may help

\_ 3) Can fstab be used for the boot portion?  If so, how?

convert the flags on the command line to the analgous ones in
/etc/fstab.  It's partly non obvious, but think of the joy of being
able to report the solution to the list.  :-)

David