Converting MS Outlook Address Book to Evolution

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:06:26 -0400

Should this go on the plug site?  It's looks fairly complete.  It might be a good start for a wiki.

anthony

From: Carl Parrish <cparrish@carlparrish.com>
Date: 2003/06/04 Wed PM 07:48:11 EDT
To: Plug-discuss <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Subject: Re: Converting MS Outlook Address Book to Evolution

Importing Mail Messages

To import mail messages from Netscape Communicator, Outlook, Outlook
Express, or Eudora, begin from the Mail window:

   1. Open the Tools menu, and choose Import. You see the Import Wizard.
   2. Follow the instructions to import mail messages.

For Netscape Communicator, the wizard imports a copy of all Communicator
mail folders included under Local Folders. Imported mail is added as a
new folder under Local Folders in the Mail window. (The Communicator
mail folders still remain in their original location).

Importing Mail Settings

To import mail settings from Outlook, Outlook Express, or Eudora, begin
from the Mail window:

   1. Open the Tools menu, and choose Import. You see the Import Wizard.
   2. Follow the instructions to import mail settings.

Importing Address Books

If you have a Netscape 6 address book from another user profile or
computer, or if you have an address book from a previous version of
Netscape Communicator or another mail program, you can import its
entries into the Address Book window as a new address book. Keep in mind
that when you upgrade a user profile from an earlier version of
Netscape, your address books are automatically included, so there's no
need to import them.

You can import address books from Communicator, Netscape 6, Eudora,
Outlook, Outlook Express, or text files (LDIF, tab-delimited (.tab),
comma-separated (.csv), or text (.txt) formats). When you import an
address book, Mail & Newsgroups creates a new address book with the
imported entries.

You can also import mail messages and settings from Communicator,
Eudora, Outlook, and Outlook Express.

To import an address book, begin from the Mail window:

   1. Open the Tools menu, and choose Import. You see the Mail Import
Wizard.
   2. Follow the instructions to import address books.
   3.

      Tip: Communicator address book files (pab.na2) are stored in your
user profile directory (for example, C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users,
where \Users contains the user profiles directories).

[ Return to beginning of section ]

Exporting Address Books

You can export a Netscape address book if you later want to import it
into another user profile, move it to another computer, or use it with
another program that can import address books. You can export an address
book to one of these file formats: Netscape (.ldif), tab-delimited
(.tab), comma-separated (.csv), or text (.txt) formats.

To export an address book, begin from the Address Book window:

   1. Select the address book that you want to export.
   2. Open the Tools menu, and choose Export.
   3. In the Export Address Book dialog box, browse to the location
where you want to save the address book file.
   4. Choose the file format for the exported address book (.ldif,
comma-separated, or tab-delimited).
   5. Enter a name for the address book file. Be sure to include the
appropriate file extension (.ldif, .csv, .tab, or .txt).
   6. Click Save.

I'll look for that URL for you.