Mandrake 9.0 X window wrong login screen

Jeremy C. Reed plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:20:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, William Lindley wrote:

> > Also, look at your ~/.xsession file.
>
> Presumably that's the per-user settings...

Yes.

> What determines what program appears that lets you login?  Must be some
> system-wide X setting someplace?
>
> Is there an explanation someplace that details what happens in Runlevel 5
> when you get the graphical X login?

Without looking at Mandrake specifically, I'd start with the xdm manual
page.

xdm runs Xstartup (or as defined by DisplayManager*startup) when the user
logs in. Then it runs the Xsession script as that user. Commonly these are
located at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup and
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession. (Maybe under /etc/X11/xdm on your box.)

The Xsession script is what redirects errors to ~/.xsession-error and uses
the per-user ~/.xsession script. You could edit the system-wide  Xsession
to start what you want.

If not using an xdm, but starting X manually, look at defaults in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc, for example.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/