Little ditty

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:16:48 -0700

A short story that I am sure some of you will enjoy:

I work in the IT department of a medium sized insurance company.  We are
owned by a very large world-wide insurance enterprise.

For the last few years, I have been pushing to use Linux in various roles
within my department.  The typical response is usually  that it was not an
"approved" platform by our parent company.  (We are primarily a Solaris
server/AS400/Windows desktop shop).

Recently, the parent has started an evaluation of using "Linux in the
Entreprise" and I am fortunate to be able to participate in this project.
As I was walking to the garage, I was telling a freind that I was excited
and that I have high hopes that Linux has a bright future here.  He gave me
the typical response "It's not good on the desktop, and would you bet a
billion-dollar company on open source, yada, yada, yada...".   But here is
the great part...

So at this point we stop in the Restroom, and I leave a Linux Firewall book
I am carrying by the door for a second.  There was a janitor there - and he
saw the book.  All of a sudden he starts talking to me, telling me how he
was installing Linux on his home PC, asking my questions about Fat32 and
Ext3, etc.,etc!!!

After we left, I turn to my friend and say "Hmmm let's see.... a billion
dollar Enterprise and the Restroom janitor are both evaluating
Linux.....this is a sign"

The future is so bright, Tux better get his shades on
;-)