DSL Modem Question

Art plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:56:27 -0700

Kevin Brown wrote:

> I saw in another thread that a Netgear DG814 DSL modem can be used
> with Qwest DSL in place of a Cisco 678 or the internal PCI Intel 2200
> card.  My question is, I have two DSL feeds coming into my house
> (don't ask).  Currently one connects to an EOL Cisco 675 DSL Router
> and the other goes straight into a Windows box (Internal PCI Modem).
> I've tried using the 675 in place of the Internal card, but apparently
> in the time between getting the first line and then the second (about
> 1.5 years) they changed protocols and so the 675 doesn't work on the
> newer line (even with the most recent CBOS).  Would the afformentioned
> Netgear DSL modem work for both protocols?  I don't need it to support
> both lines at once, just want one piece of hardware that will work for
> either line as needed.  This would let me convert the machine with the
> Intel card to Linux and still be able to use both lines from my
> network (hmm, Linux router doing load balancing???).

Kevin;  Qwest has always offered either internal modems or external
modem/routers. The Cisco 675 is a "CAP" encoded external modem/router
and was provided with CAP encoded circuits. Later Qwest started
providing all new service with "DMT" encoded lines and for their
external modem/router provided the Cisco 678, which can via different
CBOS Types (CAP, DMT, or DMT Lite) operate with all three encoding
methods. The modem /router you would need to support both CAP, and DMT
encoding  is not available as far as I know. All new Qwest  installs are
using a different external DMT modem since the Cisco modems have been
declared EOL (end of life) by Cisco.
Art Wagner.