DSL Modem Question

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:20:32 -0700

I saw in another thread that a Netgear DG814 DSL modem can be used with Qwest
DSL in place of a Cisco 678 or the internal PCI Intel 2200 card.  My question
is, I have two DSL feeds coming into my house (don't ask).  Currently one
connects to an EOL Cisco 675 DSL Router and the other goes straight into a
Windows box (Internal PCI Modem).  I've tried using the 675 in place of the
Internal card, but apparently in the time between getting the first line and
then the second (about 1.5 years) they changed protocols and so the 675 doesn't
work on the newer line (even with the most recent CBOS).  Would the
afformentioned Netgear DSL modem work for both protocols?  I don't need it to
support both lines at once, just want one piece of hardware that will work for
either line as needed.  This would let me convert the machine with the Intel
card to Linux and still be able to use both lines from my network (hmm, Linux
router doing load balancing???).