: Modem Problems in Linux only

Michael Havens plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 18:26:50 -0400

My ISP is VEI=2Enet~~~but it can validate me =2E I know this because before =
I upgraded to Mandrake 9=2E1rc2 from 9=2E0 it was working=2E Then I put 9=2E=
0 back on and no workey did it do!
:-)Mike(-:

----- Original Message -----
From: Bart Garst
Sent: 4/4/2003 6:56:55 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists=2Eplug=2Ephoenix=2Eaz=2Eus
Subject: RE: Modem Problems in Linux only

I'm gonna take a wild shot at this=2E
Is it possible your ISP is disconnecting because it can't validate that you
are an authorized user?

Michael, who is your ISP?

This is for Michael Havens:

The problem is not in the modem or its configuration=2E  I know this because=
have a dual boot system, Windows 2000 Pro and Mandrake 8=2E2, and my 5610 PCI=

modem works perfectly in W2KPro but does what you describe in Linux=2E

So the problem is somewhere after the modem=2E  In other words, after your
modem negotiates a connection with your ISPs modem it passes control to the
OS, which, if it is Linux, tells them to terminate the connection=2E

Sorry I can't be any more help=2E  I never figured it out, and the modem wor=
ks
fine in W2KPro so I went on to other things=2E  I didn't buy a computer to
fuss with trivial things that should work, and dial-up modems have been in
use for a long time now, so they should work in any OS=2E