Upgrading to Red Hat 8 or some other distro

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
24 Nov 2002 18:56:49 -0700

--=-hx7A+w2B9Bs4IXBZewcF

I agree 100% with Ted here.  I am not a 'fan' of the Red Hat
distribution, but I get irrated when people bag on them.  For those that
dont know not only is nearly all of their work GPL'd, for the most part
until recently they were still assigning a good deal of work over to the
Free Software Foundation.

They are good members of the free software community.  They might make
bad choices sometimes (like some examples below), but generally they are
not issues of 'freedom', but rather issues of 'implemenation'.  I dont
think anyone is perfect and all that have been around long enough are
bound to do something that irrates a user base.

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 09:49, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 12:14, Debian User wrote:
> > Excuse me -- I chose the wrong word. I should have used the word,
> > "non-standard" or "non-conforming".
>=20
> Sorry to get all worked up about that.  I just tired of the "Redhat is
> Microsoft" argument.  People may not like their distribution, the
> choices they made about KDE integration, which compiler chain for 7.x
> series, but they are not trying to lock people out of their technology.=20
> They have been really, infact in some cases I think almost unbelievably,
> giving with this kind of stuff.
>=20
> 		Sorry,
> 			Ted