Upgrading to Red Hat 8 or some other distro

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
21 Nov 2002 00:28:29 -0700

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 22:44, Ted Gould wrote:

> > > OK, I'll bite - why do we not have depencies under debian?
> >
> > 	Dependencies exist under Debian like any other system, but they're
> > addressed pretty heavily via the package management scheme.
>
> I would have to say that tools like redcarpet nullify these differences
> between distributions.  Redcarpet takes care of the dependencies, and
> download the files all at once.
-----
There is an apt-get for redhat but it isn't part of the standard
distribution.

Redhat's up2date has pretty much solved the dependency issues unless
there is a version upgrade that Redhat isn't going to add to the current
release which is always possible.

It seems that for major upgrades - i.e. Redhat 7.3 to 8.0 are a bit
risky but mine worked fine. I would bet that Debian has it's share of
issues when you change from one base to another but the Debian people
can fill us in.

I have heard some horror stories of using redcarpet on a redhat system.

Craig