Forcing a 10/100 NIC to run at 10

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:54:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Scott H wrote:

> |Adding a media flag with the value 10baseT to
> |your ifconfig entry might
> |facilitate this. Note, as documented, this may
> |not work with all cards.
> |Push come to shove, I think I've got a 10meg NIC
> |you can borrow. =)
>
> OK, this is what I get (FWIW, I'm connected to
> this box with vnc, if that makes a diff):
>
> # ifconfig eth0 media 10baseT
> port: SIOCSIFMAP: Operation not supported
>
> I presume that means the card won't accept that
> configuration from the OS, right?  Or does this
> have to be somehow done at boot?

	Yup, function not supported. Another hack available to you should
other suggestions like the mii package fail, is simply recrimp your
ethernet cable, using only pairs 1-2, 3-6, as per the 10baseT cabling
spec. This has it's caveats as well, since there are two 100baseT cabling
specs, T4 and T8, one of which used only two pairs (T4) in the same manner
10baseT does. I'd save this for last ditch efforts. =)

- billn