Upgrading to Red Hat 8 or some other distro

Ted Gould plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Nov 2002 22:44:12 -0700

--=-wJ/N1mJm58g3A9Yp92J+

> > OK, I'll bite - why do we not have depencies under debian?
>=20
> 	Dependencies exist under Debian like any other system, but they're
> addressed pretty heavily via the package management scheme.

I would have to say that tools like redcarpet nullify these differences
between distributions.  Redcarpet takes care of the dependencies, and
download the files all at once.

Just as a curiosity:  Does anyone know the real differences between the
Debian package format (not apt, just the .deb) and a rpm file?  I've
heard that the Debian packages have better config file handling, but
I've never used one enough to play with that.

Asbestos suit on...  but no, really, I'm curious.

		Have fun,
			Ted

--=-wJ/N1mJm58g3A9Yp92J+

--=-wJ/N1mJm58g3A9Yp92J+--