Upgrading to Red Hat 8 or some other distro

Bill Nash plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:24:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, George Toft wrote:

> Bill Nash wrote:
> > If
> > you're using debian, well, we wouldn't be having this discussion, now,
> > would we? =)
>
> OK, I'll bite - why do we not have depencies under debian?

	Dependencies exist under Debian like any other system, but they're
addressed pretty heavily via the package management scheme. Doing upgrades
take these things into account, and take a lot of the pain out of it.
I'm not saying it's perfect, any machine with humans in /etc/passwd is
prone to problems, but it's easier than dealing with RPM.

- billn