RH 8.0 woes

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:57:19 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Lynn David Newton on 11/12/2002 22:02 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_
\_   Vaughn> I tend to agree with this philosophy. I
\_   Vaughn> upgraded my notebook from RH 7.1 to 7.3, and
\_   Vaughn> it was pretty hosed. I wiped the partition
\_   Vaughn> and did it as a new install (I'd ghosted the
\_   Vaughn> original) and it worked much better.
\_
\_ That approach strikes me as being much like buying a
\_ new house and moving into it rather than facing spring
\_ cleaning every year.
\_
\_ Whenever I build a system from scratch it takes me a
\_ good week of my life to get all the stuff I use
\_ installed and configured and working the way I want.

There was an article in the linux journal about CVSing the user's home
directory a while back that was just fascinating...at least for me;
I've been kicking around that idea for a while now anyway.

The RedHat Proper response would be "build rpms for your local
installs" then they're easy to move from one install to the next.

I usually don't have problems doing upgrades from RH X.y to X.(y+1),
but I refuse to do X.y to Y.x based on "I wonder what cruft will be
missed".  And the whole thought of moving to X dot oh.... no.  I
always wait for .1 and give it a few weeks in the water to be sure the
adventurous folks on plug aren't screaming bloody murder.  :-)

I think my next box is probably going to be one of the build from
source dists.

David