RH 8.0 woes

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:54:42 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Lynn David Newton wrote:

most of the changes are not redhat specific, but gnome2 specific.  I dont
know of a single distro (although Im prolly wrong here) that doesnt have
these changes by default.

> Lest I get off on a rant here, let me get to the point
> of this message, which is to seek information.
>
> o I'm using the new GNOME Blue{whatever}, and am
>   willing to give it a fair try, since I'll have to
>   live with it for a while. I'm more than merely
>   disappointed to see that it apparently no longer uses
>   sawfish as its window manager. Why not? Whatever the
>   beast is that replaces it (and I can't even figure
>   out what that is) is wimpy. I particularly hate the
>   weak support for keyboard bindings.

The wm you speak badly of is metacity.  the reason for the switch (if I
remember correctly) was that sawfish was not gnome2 compatable.  That is
changing, however.  see gnomedesktop.org.   as an aside, metacity does
have a certain number of configurability available.  some via
metacity-setup (seperate package of course) and some via gconf.

> o Several applets that I formerly used frequently no
>   longer exist at all. Significant cases in point:

another thing that is different about gnome2 and not necessarily redhat.
>From recollection (sp?) most (if not all) of the applets from gnome1.x
will not work with gnome2.  If it hasnt been rewritten for gnome2...sorry
:)  However, gnome2.1 seems to be bringing back some functionality in
terms of 'dockable applets' i.e. the gnomeicu one below.  The applet (or
docklet as I believe they are now called) needs to be written for it,
though.

>   - gnomeicu no longer works at all. Ironically, the
>     distro contains an updated version, but evidently
>     the shared library used to run it no longer exists,
>     i.e., must have been removed from the system. When
>     I try to start it from a command line (which I
>     don't expect to work, because it's an applet), I
>     get this:
>
>     $ gnomeicu: error while loading shared libraries: libpanel_applet.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

its looking for gnome1.4 libraries, i believe.

>     I need an IRQ client available all day long in my
>     daily work, because I telecommute. I suppose I
>     could go to licq, but I hate it.

xchat still works fine.

>   - The wonderful little utility that used to exist for
>     making screenshots under GNOME is no longer there.
>     There is an adequate but inferior replacement,
>     captured, I believe, from KDE. Why did they replace
>     that? I want it back. I use it daily. Or used to.

I dont have my gnome2 box availabe, but I'd almost be willing to bet
something non-valuable that gnome2 has one of these.....Ill have to wait
till I get home to get the exact name/location.

>   - The time and mail notification applet I used to use
>     is gone. There's a butt-ugly plain text time and
>     date gizmo, but no mail notification program I have
>     been able to locate. I could revert to using xbiff
>     from years ago, but I certainly don't want to.

cant help on the mail one.  I always found those annoying.  Might be the
same applet problem as mentioned above, though.

David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader