A+ Prep - was Potential PLUG Presentation?

Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:01:16 -0700 (MST)

Am 03. Nov, 2002 schwätzte Bryce C so:

> Today's Network Administrators do a lot more than "traditional" net
> admins.  You can put just about anything on your card these days.  My
> cousin, the net admin for National Underwriters has 8 boxes of cards for
> his 8 positions there.  Not only does he handle the basic net admin
> stuff but, pbx, security, fire alarm, ac controls, tech support, and a
> couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.  He's in a pretty
> good position there because they rely on him for so many things.

It's true that today's network admin is often more a "data center admin".

If they don't know IOS, though, they're not a network admin :).

> I too am in a similar situation but for a much smaller company that
> primarily does consulting and such and I am the person people ask for.
> I also happen to own that company but that's a different matter.
> Simply put, net admins today try to put there thumbs in as many pies as
> possible for greater job security.

Yes, but we're both talking about network admins rather than the 'network
admin' that was mentioned earlier. The one mentioned earlier was m$ trying
to redefine the term to mean 'desktop admin who does some minor networking
stuff'. Actually, I think they usually don't really do much networking and
are rather just adminning services that should be available via the network,
but generally don't know how to actually get the networking working...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  A Polish friend of mine got an offer for a free account from AOL. The