A+ Prep - was Potential PLUG Presentation?

Bryce C plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
03 Nov 2002 14:51:50 -0700

--=-ZvTV9AYHEgp2SBnik1WJ

Today's Network Administrators do a lot more than "traditional" net
admins.  You can put just about anything on your card these days.  My
cousin, the net admin for National Underwriters has 8 boxes of cards for
his 8 positions there.  Not only does he handle the basic net admin
stuff but, pbx, security, fire alarm, ac controls, tech support, and a
couple others I can't remember off the top of my head.  He's in a pretty
good position there because they rely on him for so many things.
I too am in a similar situation but for a much smaller company that
primarily does consulting and such and I am the person people ask for.=20
I also happen to own that company but that's a different matter.
Simply put, net admins today try to put there thumbs in as many pies as
possible for greater job security.

On Sun, 2002-11-03 at 14:13, der.hans wrote:
> Am 03. Nov, 2002 schw=E4tzte Bart Garst so:
>=20
> > It is hardware, but it's also Windows.
> > This certification is intended to prove that the holder is qualified to=
 do
> > help desk diagnostics as well as build desktop systems. It also covers
>=20
> Help desk diagnostics? Do you mean trouble-shoot the hardware? Basic desk=
top
> support? Both? "Help desk," to me, implies remote support, so hardware re=
pair
> is implicitly difficult :). That might just be a limitation of my exposur=
e.
>=20
> > printers, but just barely. The only networking it covers is setting up =
a NIC
> > and cables.
> >
> > They intended for this cert to go along with their Net+ certification. =
The
> > two together are suppose to prove the holders are capable for entry lev=
el
> > network administrator duties. The Net+ test covers other operating Syst=
ems
> > (I think, I took the prep class but not the test).
>=20
> Are these both m$ certs?
>=20
> Network administration is routers, switches, and other networking equipme=
nt,
> not desktop or server operating systems. Granted, GNU/Linux makes a viabl=
> router :), but network administration would be the admin of the routing
> portion of the system, not the the SMTP daemon.
>=20
> So, what do you mean by network administration? Is that some specific asp=
ect
> of system administration?
>=20
> ciao,
>=20
> der.hans
> --=20
> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
> #  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,
> #  keine Ahnung und keinen (.)plan. -- die Toten Hosen
>=20
> -=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=
=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-=3D-
>=20
--=20
Bryce Chidester
Network Administrator