Linux at Work

Bill Warner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
09 Jul 2002 09:15:01 -0700

put your new drive in the system on the second ide controller.

fdisk the drive to the partitions you want

mke2fs (or what ever filesystem you would like to use)

cd /mnt
tar czf - / --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/proc | tar xzvf

should do it i think.

then make a boot disk, swap the hard drive to the first controller,
craft a lilo.conf and run lilo.

hope this helps.

If you need more details let me know.

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 16:12, charlie bullen wrote:
> On Monday 08 July 2002 15:53, you wrote:
> > Hi, The computer I am using to run linux at work is my expierimental
> > computer and has only a small 4 gig disk with 2 different distros on
> it. As
> > it looks like I will be using this box for the forseable future I want
> > put a bigger drive in it and take the small one out.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to how to move my installation rom 1 drive to
> another? I
> > tried using ghost but it copied over hda1 to the new disk retaining
> the
> > small size 1.9 gigs.
> >
> > I wanted to install openoffice and some other things and there is not
> > enough room.
> >
> > Charlie

Bill Warner
Unix/Linux Admin.
Direct Alliance Corporation

Company required stuff:

Contents are Direct Alliance Corporation Confidential

This message is for the designated recipient(s) only and contains
Direct Alliance Corporation privileged and confidential information.
If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete the original. Any other use of this email is prohibited.