Linux at Work

Tue, 9 Jul 2002 01:51:34 -0700 (MST)

Am 08. Jul, 2002 schwätzte charlie bullen so:

> Hi, The computer I am using to run linux at work is my expierimental computer
> and has only a small 4 gig disk with 2 different distros on it. As it looks
> like I will be using this box for the forseable future I want to put a bigger
> drive in it and take the small one out.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to move my installation rom 1 drive to another? I
> tried using ghost but it copied over hda1 to the new disk retaining the small
> size 1.9 gigs.
>
> I wanted to install openoffice and some other things and there is not enough
> room.

There were many recommendations that were made a few months ago. Search the
archives for more info.

Look for a thread with a post from me about using cpio or tar to copy the
data. That wasn't necessarily the best suggestion :).

Format the new drive. Copy the data over ( tar, cpio, cp, ... ), fix
/etc/fstab if it will be incorrect for the new drive, setup a boot block on
the new drive ( option to lilo, boot from install/rescue disk, ... ),
reposition hard drives into desired setup, reboot.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Stell dir vor, es ist Krieg und keiner geht hin...