Forums

Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:25:41 -0700 (MST)

Am 04. Jul, 2002 schwätzte Tim Shapiro so:

> Is there anyway we can throw a java applet Chat on the webpage or create

We can, but they suck ( blatently my opinion ). If we're gonna have anything
it needs to be a web interface to a mailing list ( still blatantly my
opinion, in fact consider the rest of this email to blatantly be my opinion
and not necessarily represent anybody else's viewpoint ).

> some forums? Instead of flodding everyones inboxes with mainly crap that
> people don't want. I look and here and thre I am interested in a couple

We've gotten more people ( unique individuals ) to post on this topic than
normally post, so it would seem to me that those interested make up a
significant portion of the group.

That doesn't mean that we can't start a community-outreach list if people
want. That type of thing has been suggested many times. I just brought it up
again at a meeting a few months ago. Thus far the response from PLUG has
been to not create a new mailing list.

It would be easy to setup a new list, so we just need to be fairly certain
that people would use it rather than the discuss list. There's also the
issue of cross-posting. We already run into that with the devel list :(.

> of posts but, there has to be a better way. Is there a limit on the web
> page so as that we can't put this up? I really think there is be a better
> way. I mean you guys are killing my free 2.0mb hotmail limit.

I think subscribing to a mailing list with an account that has such limited
space is the real problem here. Even so, most messages are under 10k, which
would be 200 messages. Also, most of that space is used by people who don't
chop the extra junk off the end of their email.

Not to pick on you specifically, but you're in the right place at the right
time :). The junk from the previous messages that you left in your reply was
almost 10 times as long as the content of your message. That's where the
bulk of the message size on this list comes from.

That maps ',,dte' ( delete to end ) to a command that whacks everything
between my signoff ( der.hans ) and the '-- ' that starts my sig block. This
is for vi. Certainly emacs can do something similar :). GUIs just require a
little mouse movement and a backspace.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
# Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.