Dot.Bombs AZ Style

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
20 Dec 2002 13:26:10 -0700

Sorry Daniel,

You are incorrect about DevelopOnline not being a Linux shop. Most of
our infrastructure was Linux. Now that was not the case when I started
there in 2000 but by mid 2001 most of the MS servers had been but away.

Yes the marketing folks thought that the .NET push might help save the
company but the .NET push was only a marketing ploy. We never switched
back to a MS shop.

We did have some MS units, could not avoid it, but even in the .NET site
the most of the entire back end was run with Linux and a bit of Novel.
The only place we ran MS products was where my Sysadmins could not find
/install a suitable OS replacement.

At the desktop level we had mostly Windows desktops, though we did have
a mix of Macintosh, Linux, and FreeBSD desktops too. Those were in the
development area though none of the executive staff or marketing staff
used anything but Windows (with the exception of myself, I've been
running Linux as a desktop since 1997).

Daniel I don't actually remember you though, perhaps Ron the IT manager
interviewed you. Could be once I hired Ron I stepped back from most of
the interview process.

As to your unsubscription I doubt anyone did that, at least in relation
to anything you said about DOL. I know I can't and if I could I would
not bother, I am equally sure that Hans could not be bothered either.
DOL was a good idea that died too soon, someone will do it again when
there is money to do it with.

Cheers,

David Mandala

Ext. CTO/VP Engineering DevelopOnline.com