linux box troubles

Jeff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:10:19 -0700

the 2.4.14 kernel supports the old ipchains and the port forwarding methods as well as the new netfilter Iptables.

It's really easy to set up.  Download compile and install the new iptables version, then do your kernel.  It has the options in there for all of it.

You may need to make up a good rc.firewall script, but I just used the 0.62 version that was listed in that howto.  It works great.

I never used ipchains so I'm not too sure on what you'd need to do, I just know that setting it up from scratch was very simple.  Took about an hour total.  not including compile time for the kernel.