newbies linux adventure

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 06 Nov 2001 17:25:12 -0700

Curtis Zinzilieta wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, John (EBo) David wrote:
>
> > Nancy Sollars wrote:
> > >
> > > Red 7x installers fail often
> >
> > and they want us to buy the thing? hmmm I hope someone from RH is paying
> > attention...
> >
> >   EBo --
>
> Yup.  I've been busy and am just catching up on all my not-on-fire email
> and noticed this.
>
> So, I'll try to answer questions or get problems escalated up the chain to
> those who can help.  What brought this comment about?  I've personally
> installed Red Hat on literally dozens of different types of systems
> without problems.  Can someone (Alan?  Nancy?) give me some specifics?
>
> If this doesn't seem appropriate for the list, feel free to email me
> privately.

Hi Curtis,

My motivation for responding thus was to see if any of the RH srew were
still listening and to let them know there were complaints...
Personally I have been using SuSE for the past 2 to 3 years.  I am
seriously considering switching as I have not been enamered with SuSE's
support.  The 4 distro's I am considering is slack, debian, RH, and
Mandrake. and frankly I AM paying attention.

Glad that you are onboard with the RH team, and thanks for following. up
unfortunately I have since deleated the original messages and cannot
reproduce the chain easily.  The general gist IIRC is that one of the
newbies was having serious trouble with his linux install and made some
specific comments on what was breaking during the install.  It is now
suspected that he may have a bad sim, but that was the one case.  The
person who replied has had other experiences.  My experience with RH
(this being years past) was that old stable hardware installed just
fine, newer stuff had problems and the bleading edge was like jugling a
running chainsaw.  But regardless, I would run any Linux over Windows 9
days out of 10 (the exception being low level hardware control which DOS
makes easy, but give RT-Linux a couple more years...)

 EBo --