Creating Super User

Gary Nichols gary@linuxchimp.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:16:30 -0700

The only reason anyone would symlink /root/.bash_history to /dev/null is if
they don't want to leave a trail.  I'd be VERY suspicous....

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Kimi A.
Adams
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2001 3:50 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Creating Super User

Why would Carl want to do this?  Well, I know of a really good
reason.  When you maintain a server located at a customer site with an
admin on their side that likes to hack and destroy, you give him a super
user account but not ultimate root.  I have that same situation right now
that their admin fubar'd the system and locked root bash_history into
/dev/null because he was mistakenly given "root" password instead of using
his super user account.  It's now not bringing up the programming and I am
waiting for my sys admin to return from out of town.

I certainly wouldn't want to delete any root account because it give you
less control over what's happening if you don't have possession of the
server.  It's a scary world out there!

Kimi