POP Server mailboxes

AZ Pete plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:18:17 -0700

Hi all,

I've set up a pop3 server on a machine and all is working ok.  I am able to
download my mail using an email client from a couple Windows test boxes.
I am, however, receiving the following error in the maillog whenever I
retrieve mail:

'Mailbox vulnerable - directory /var/spool/mail must have 1777 protection.'

In reading the chmod man page this would give permissions of rwxrwxrwt.
The 't'  means "save program text on swap device."

In one of my Linux books it mentions a capital T, which means the sticky
bit is set.
A small 't' would result if world sticky bit is set along with world execute.

Does anyone have any clarification as to what the lower case 't' permission
actually does?
Do I need to apply it to the /var/spool/mail directory as the pop3 error
message indicates?
Or is it simply one of those 'nag' errors where I can leave it be?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter