Sound programming resources? [topic change :) ]

Garrett Ellis plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 05:04:33 -0700

Hello, everyone. I've been working on the source for Everybuddy to add
support for sound formats besides the icky .AU file format. I've gotten
it hodge-podged together to work with the 'play' command (packaged with
sox); however I'd like to learn enough about sound formats to make the
code native to Everybuddy and not dependant upon another package which
is dependant on another lib, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to approach this? I've never seen
any books dealing specifically with sound files. My interest primarily
is in .wav files. I'm going to hunt down the source to the 'play'
program, however if anyone has any other resources for sound information
(like how OSS works, etc..) I'd love to know. :)

Take care,
Garrett